Some people may wonder what physical therapy looks like for a 1 or 2 year old. Obviously it doesn't involve big weights and fancy training exercises. And most of the time you don't get 10 or 20 reps of anything. We work with the therapist at our home every other week for an hour on simple things. On the opposite weeks, Miss Angela goes to Nico's daycare to work with him there. She likes to bring fun things with her, like dinosaur magnets that Nico can practice picking up off the floor and putting up high on a fridge or cabinet door. Or a squishy ball to stand on or sit on and bounce, to strengthen leg muscles. Or a big ball, bat and a sloped ramp "base" for Nico to stretch his leg muscles on while he is distracted playing baseball. It's all about distractions, making it seem like a game. Once he realizes you are trying to make him work (or it becomes too uncomfortable for his legs), usually he is done with it and you get to move on to a different game.
I've learned how difficult some of the simplest things can be and how much as a "normal" person I take for granted most days. For example, if I want to wiggle my toes back and forth, I just think about it and it happens. Or if I want to pick my foot up high, I don't lose my balance.
Nico has progressed so much in the last year, from walking to running and now he is jumping. I know he will continue to learn new things as he grows. He just has to work a lot harder than most to get those legs to do what he wants. We are so thankful for his therapists that work through the state program and come to us! They have given us so many ideas and tools to help Nico.
 |
| Putting the foam blocks together to get ready |
 |
| Practicing stepping over with Miss Angela |
No comments:
Post a Comment